TFC–Gakinaamaage is recruiting teachers for full-time classroom positions in First Nations in northern Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Successful candidates will start teaching in September 2024.
Why we exist:
Education in Canada is a success story, but high overall quality masks deep inequality. The twin challenges of teacher supply and turnover compound historical injustice and systemic inequities to produce an education gap between First Nations and non-First Nations communities.
TFC–Gakinaamaage is a non-profit organization that works with northern communities to recruit, prepare, and support committed teachers who will support student success in the North.
- Certified or certification-eligible to teach in a Canadian province or territory
- Legal working status in Canada for the minimum two-year teaching commitment
- Available to attend the Summer Enrichment Program in July 2024
- Able to relocate and teach full-time in a northern First Nation
Who we look for:
- You have a strong, flexible teaching practice and are inclusive of all students. You may work with students who are below grade level or have to teach outside of your subject specialization. Our Teacher Development team will provide two years of classroom support.
- You are resilient and have established self-care strategies to overcome challenges. You can sometimes feel isolated and lonely, especially when trying to explain life in the community to family and friends. We will support you with a community of like-minded peers and access to counselling services.
- You want to work collaboratively with community members to incorporate local knowledge. It can be difficult to integrate First Nation cultures and languages, especially if they are new to you. Our Summer Enrichment Program will prepare you through workshops on Indigenous histories, cultures, and locally-responsive teaching approaches.
As an organization that works with First Nations, we value Indigenous perspectives in our program and encourage Indigenous candidates to apply.
2024 Selection Process:
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and you will hear back within two weeks of submission.
The first deadline to apply is January 8nd, 2024.
- Introductory Interviews: Rolling basis.
- Fit Interviews: The week of January 22nd
- Reference Checks: January 29th – February 7th
- Final Selection: February 7th
First Nations partners will begin extending offers of employment to selected teachers in April 2024 and onwards.
Suggested Next Steps:
- Email a Teacher Recruitment Manager at email@example.com with questions
- Register for a virtual learning event at teachforcanada.ca/events
- Learn more and apply online now at teachforcanada.ca/apply
Equal Opportunity Employer
This employer is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.