Position Title: Asst. Maintenance Manager
Reports to: Chief Administrative Officer
Date Updated: November 8, 2023
Nature and Scope:
This position reports directly to the CAO and closely works with the Managers of Cypress View Foundation. The role entails a high level of interaction with staff, attention to detail and strong organizational skills. The Maintenance Manager runs the day-to-day maintenance and project work. This position manages and oversees all contract and procurement processes related to facility operations in consultation with the Finance Manager and CAO. This position involves extensive liaison with Management and staff. This requires 24-hour coverage for buildings and scheduling of staff to meet this requirement. His/her job is to assist and be involved in maintaining a clean, safe, healthy environment so that residents of the facility can live comfortable, enjoyable, and active lives.
- Daily reporting of work orders and completion to CAO.
- Daily walkabout of the entire facility and ensure all areas are clean and safe for all residents, staff, and volunteers at CVF.
- Accountable for building safety that sustains an atmosphere of safety for resident and family centred care.
- Ensure proper preventative maintenance techniques and systems are followed and completed.
- Prioritize and document all maintenance activities on a daily/weekly/monthly and annual basis.
- Reviews departmental policies, procedures, manuals, position descriptions and participate in making recommended changes.
- Maintain the exterior of the facilities; landscaping and snow removal as required.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationship with peers, professional groups and other health care facilities and organizations.
- Manages and coordinates the daily operations of the Project Workers.
- Is responsible for all construction project management including both internal and contracted services.
- Is responsible for all contract and tender opportunities (both internal and external) in consultation with the Finance Manager and CAO.
- Manages all electronic communications infrastructure in consultation with the Finance Manager and CAO.
- Handles procurement and contract management including grants and reporting in consultation with the Finance Manager and CAO.
- Is responsible for all facility infrastructure inspections and permits. Creates a calendar of required Inspections and Preventative maintenance and reports monthly to CAO on completion and pending status.
- Is responsible for regular departmental meetings.
Health and Safety:
- Ensures compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Standards. Is a Management representative in H&S committee and ensures all concerns and hazards identified are resolved promptly, as raised by H&S Committee.
- Promotes a culture of employee safety.
- Advocates and ensures Stretching Program is completed by all Employees.
- Keeps in sync with latest OH&S Legislation and suggests H&S related policy changes.
- Ensures all employees have the support and education to be compliant with Health & Safety.
- Involvement in developing departmental policies and procedures
- Adhere to all OHS and infection control practices and procedures
- Pursue continual learning by participating in educational opportunities, in-services and/or training programs.
- Complete knowledge of CUPE agreement.
- Maintain confidentiality of issues related to residents, employee matters and CVF information, knowledgeable about FOIP.
- Commit to supporting the Mission, Noble cause, Values of CVF
- Assist with the development and implementation of promotional activities and programs to support revenue generated in all outlets
- Assist Management in establishing, implementing, and monitoring standards of service and operation
- Ensure communication and compliance of facilities responsibilities in the event of an emergency as outlined in Emergency Preparedness Binder to ensure resident, visitor and staff safety
- Ensure that the operational budget is adhered to, and all costs are controlled
- Assist with new hires when requested by management by assisting new employees with forms completion, identification, and scheduling processes
- Adept at written and oral communication with internal and external suppliers/customers
- Initiating new contracts for services and/or products
- Well organized and excellent attention to detail
- Working shifts as business levels dictates in case no unionized worker is available for that shift.
- Management/Supervisory experience
- Prior experience with Procurement and Contract management
- Knowledge of Health & Safety Code, Act and Legislation
- Knowledge of Workers Compensation
- Must be able to maintain mental and emotional resilience in the face of challenges, cope with frequent changes, multi-task and respond to emerging priorities on an hourly and daily basis
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal as well as good problem-solving abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to deal effectively with conflict in a diplomatic and professional manner
- Adept at written and oral communication with internal and external relations
- Excellent active listening skills
- Demonstrate flexibility by changing routine to accommodate needs
- Accept, implement, and evaluate change with a positive attitude
- Willingness to participate in committee and projects
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Act as an ambassador and role model of the Values, Noble cause, and Mission of CVF
- Work in a supportive partnership with other CVF employees
- Foster and maintain effective relationships simultaneously with peers, managers, supervisors, staff, clients, and families
- Represent CVF by working cooperatively with all CV staff and community partners, including contract services, educational institutions, etc.
- Experience working with the elderly preferred
- Project management experience 1-3 years
- Class 5 Certificate / or equivalent from a recognized institution or equivalent
- Licensed in accordance with current applicable standards, codes, labor laws, etc
- Contract and procurement management 1-3 years would be an asset.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a supervisory position
- A thorough knowledge of Accommodation Standards would be an asset.
- Knowledge of fire safety, building security, WHMIS, OH&S and infection control
- Background and experience in leading a multidisciplined team
- Trade certificate in Plumbing or related trade is an asset
- Knowledge of HVAC systems
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance and development
Leadership – Maintains a professional and positive manner even under changing or uncertain conditions. Works well with a wide range of individuals to provide support, coaching, encouragement, and direction. Engages others in order to accomplish organizational goals and strategies. Builds on the strengths of the workplace and reduces internal weaknesses through training and development.
Communication – Expresses and transmits information with consistency and clarity, using active listening techniques in order to effectively understand provided feedback, summarizes information according to the audience in order to promote engagement and increase understanding. Adapts communication to respond to audience or situational requirements.
Accountability – Takes personal ownership and responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work commitments. Follows organizational guidelines, professional standards, regulations, and principles. Demonstrates reliability and integrity on a daily basis. Balances organizational, team and individual commitments.
Planning and Organizing - Accurately estimates duration and level of difficulty of tasks and projects, setting out goals and objectives and work plans to complete. Continuously adapts priorities and responsibilities in response to changing needs.
Decision Making – Makes concrete, well-informed and thought-out decisions that support the overall organization. Has the ability to make quick effective decisions even when data and details are limited. When making unfavorable decisions that might have negative consequences will examine the impacts and potential implications to ensure that decision is valid for the situation. Is able to adapt decision making based on circumstances or when presented with unclear information.
Teamwork - Works cooperatively and effectively with others to reach a common goal. Participates actively in group activities fostering a team environment. Encourages others by participating in team activities, ensures teams are working effectively.
Networking and Relationship Building - Effectively builds constructive, friendly, professional relationships and networks of key contacts with people and colleagues, maintains partnerships that can provide information, assistance, and support. Builds on current working relationships while developing new ones.
Resource and Fiscal Management - Uses resources such as human capital, supplies, products, materials, and other useable items effectively and with foresight to available and limited funds. Develops priorities and plans that monitor, effectively use, and respond to organizational resources and finances.
Reporting and Relationships
- Maintenance Personnel
- Project Workers
Must Consult with CAO prior to:
- Making any expenditures
- Any new strategy or project developments
- Complex/unusual operations, issues, or decisions
- On anything that could expose the organization to risk
Must inform CAO on:
- Issues in Maintenance/Project Workers/Groundskeepers/ Custodian that could require additional investigation and or attention.
- Significant time away due to meetings/time off
- Decisions or issues that may escalate.
Authority: I have read this job description and understand these to be my job duties. The Employer reserves the right to assign other duties in response to operational priorities.
Employee: ________________________ Date: ____________________________
CAO: ____________________________ Date: ____________________________
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $55,000.00-$70,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to Commute:
- Medicine Hat, AB T1A 7W8 (required)
Ability to Relocate:
- Medicine Hat, AB T1A 7W8: Relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-11-17