N23014 - Division Buyer - Division of Business and Operations
Lethbridge School Division
Division Buyer - Division of Business and Operations
We are excited to have a Division Buyer opportunity available starting immediately.
Lethbridge School Division is a dynamic educational institution committed to providing the highest quality education to our students. We are currently seeking a dedicated and experienced Buyer to join our Business and Operations Department.
Since 1886, Lethbridge School Division has offered high quality learning experiences over a broad range of programs to meet the needs of a wide variety of learners. Lethbridge is located just two hours south of Calgary and close to the Rocky Mountains and U.S. border, and is family-oriented and culturally vibrant with many amenities of a larger city. We are a growing school division, Lethbridge School Division employs more than 1200 staff and is known for its innovative culture.
Lethbridge School Division, embraces diversity and functions in a dynamic, innovative and fast paced environment. We are seeking a Division Buyer who is results-oriented and who demonstrates professionalism and a commitment to providing exemplary public service therefore assisting in serving the educational needs of over 12,000 students within 24 schools.
Our mission statement is “Lethbridge School Division is inclusive, forward-thinking and accountable for engaging students in quality learning experiences that develop strong foundations, innovative minds and responsible citizens.”
Lethbridge School Division strives to create a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative culture. We value diversity and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
Did you know:
- Lethbridge enjoys more than 320 days of sunshine per year.
- The height of the CP Rail High Level Bridge is 95.7 meters.
- Lethbridge is one of only a few cities its size with two post-secondary institutions - Lethbridge College and University of Lethbridge.
- Lethbridge provides a central location from which to see some of the most spectacular attractions and scenery that Alberta has to offer including Waterton National Park, Banff National Park, ski resorts, hiking and mountain biking trails: www.exploresouthwestalberta.ca.
- Lethbridge offers more than 70 parks, 140 km of walking and running trails, playgrounds and sports fields throughout the city. Lethbridge has one of the best and largest leisure complexes in Alberta! For a complete overview of our Division you are encouraged to visit our website.
This role performs purchasing assignments of a complex nature, requiring experience in the acquisition of assigned commodities as well as familiarity with purchasing policies and procedures. The role makes arrangements for the purchase of services, equipment, inventory and non-inventory items at the most favorable price consistent with quality, quantity and specification requirements. Prepares and issues tenders, negotiates, establishes and manages contracts.
Purchasing & Professional Responsibilities:
- Receives, analyzes and edits requisitions for the purchase of materials, equipment and services, ensuring all requests are properly authorized and processed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Confers with user departments for the purpose of establishing product specifications and quality, recommending better quality substitutes or those that offer a lower cost of ownership and/or improved delivery terms.
- Sources materials and equipment, write specifications, select suppliers, solicit bids, evaluate quotations and issue purchase orders using progressive purchasing techniques and methods.
- Holds a comprehensive understanding of Contract Law, The Laws of Competitive Bidding, Federal and Provincial Trade Agreements and Division Policies and Procedures with the ability to interpret and apply these laws, regulations and procedures in the procurement cycle.
- Assists the Coordinator of Purchasing on large purchasing projects.
- Assists the Coordinator of Purchasing in the development of purchasing procedures and processes to accomplish the Division’s purchasing objectives at the lowest operating costs.
- Researches and analyzes commodity clarifications that would be most economically purchased using procurement techniques such as systems contracts, open-ended contracts, vendor/Division inventory programs.
- Consolidates annual requirements of high volume commodities common to multiple users.
- Ensures all applicable safety standards, codes and regulations are met when purchasing supplies, equipment and services.
- Assists the Coordinator of Purchasing with the purchase, maintenance and control of Division supply inventories.
- Assists the Coordinator of Purchasing with the disposal of the Division’s surplus and obsolete equipment.
- Maintains and enhances long term mutually profitable and professional vendor relationships ensuring all suppliers are treated fairly and equally by practicing the highest possible standards of business ethics, courtesy and competence in all business dealings.
- Investigates and resolves issues pertaining to the purchase of goods and services. This requires negotiations with suppliers and freight carriers on the return of items shipped incorrectly, duplicate shipments, items declared surplus, and items lost or damaged in transit.
- Expedites (late and overdue orders) in a timely fashion.
- Advises Accounts Payable personnel as to the appropriate action to be taken to resolve purchase order/invoice pricing discrepancies.
- Assists the Coordinator of Purchasing in the formation and periodic updating of the Purchasing Handbook.
- Assists the Coordinator of Purchasing conducting information sessions, the purpose of which is to familiarize staff with purchasing forms, practices, policies and procedures.
- Maintains positive relationships with Division staff.
- Provides timely responses within portfolio in person or via email or phone.
- Promotes an atmosphere of mutual respect and appreciation for individual differences, all staff, students, families, and community members, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, faith, nation, or spoken language, within the school division.
- Promotes a welcoming, caring, respectful, and safe work environment.
If you are a highly motivated and experienced professional with a passion for purchasing and a commitment to compliance, we encourage you to apply for the Division Buyer position at Lethbridge School Division. Join our team and contribute to our mission of providing exceptional education to our students.
What will you work?
1.0 FTE (35 hours per week)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
- Strong interpersonal communication and negotiating skills.
- Analytical with attention to detail.
- Ability to make decisions based on good judgment and concrete data that are honest, justifiable and defendable.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
- Certification in SCMP or NIGP purchasing program would be an asset.
- Enrollment in SCMT purchasing programs.
- Strong understanding of the basic principles of contract law.
- Strong understanding of the laws of competitive bidding.
- Understanding of the Agreement on Internal Trade Annex 502.4 Procurement for the MASH sector.
- Product knowledge on a wide range of commodity classifications.
Education and Experience:
- Two (2) year post secondary diploma in a related area preferred.
- Two (2) years purchasing experience employed in a buyers position, preferably in an educational environment or other government agency is an asset.
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to Lethbridge School
Division who are offered employment must provide:
- A police information check; including Vulnerable Sector Check from Police Services or an RCMP detachment that does not have any charges or convictions.
- A satisfactory Intervention Record Check from South Region Alberta Child and Family Services.
- Proof of photo identification, may be a valid driver’s licence, provincial identification card as issued by a licensed government registry office, valid passport or Nexus card. If one cannot be provided, a new card must be obtained and proof of application provided within three days of hire.
- Documentation of a valid Social Insurance Number in the employee’s legal name. If valid Social Insurance documentation in the current legal name can not be provided, the successful candidate will be required to obtain a new one within three days of hire.
Lethbridge School Division prides itself on supporting and promoting the wellness of our employees through our diverse benefit plan and providing time off to attend to personal matters. As a result, we offer an exceptional benefit package for you and your family to access. Some of the amazing benefits included are:
- 100% employer paid premiums for health and dental care.
- Health/Wellness Spending Account (HSA/WSA).
- Free 24/7 access to our Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP). This includes but is not limited to:
- Lifestyle and specialty counselling (Health, Life Balance and Career).
- Competitive retirement plan.
- Discount at a variety of local fitness facilities within Lethbridge.
This is a purposeful and rewarding career that helps make a difference in students lives!