You can be part of an inclusive team of diverse talent and character. In this diversity lies our greatest strength.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a fulfilling work environment with a strong emphasis on the physical and psychological safety of our employees and the communities we operate in. We are always working to form the best team with an emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion and through lifelong learning and development.
At BASF, we constantly strive to become an even better workplace. As a result of our commitment to our employees, BASF has earned various awards, including being recognized by Mediacorp as a Top Employer in Canada and the GTA in 2023, and for many consecutive years prior. We are also thrilled that, for the first time ever in 2023, we have been further recognized by Mediacorp as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Diversity, as well as for Young People.
We invite you to join our best team on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Commercial Seeds Production Agronomist (2301381) - Lethbridge, AB
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The Commercial Seed Production Agronomist reports to the Agronomy Manager. This position is responsible for the establishment, coordination and management of a production region(s) and is directly involved in all aspects of the production program from planning to implementation.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Ensure that production goals are met in the region for both yield and quality through production planning and development, grower relations, accurate record keeping and management and agronomy of in season seed to harvest activities such as: planting, spraying, rogueing, certification and crop inspection, pollination, harvest activities and all other required production activities.
- Manage interactions with growers and pollinators ensuring strong relations and a positive image of BASF in completion of activities such as grower contracting, contract administration, training, grower meetings and providing advice and recommendations consistent with production strategy.
- Perform and coordinate seed logistics activities to ensure accurate records and movement of seed which involves delivery of parental seed to the grower, the safe storage of seed following harvest, quality sampling of harvested seed, coordination of seed to cleaning locations, accurate record keeping and data entry, coordination with the logistics group to ensure that all required documentation is thoroughly completed on a timely basis allowing for deadlines to be met.
- Participate in the operation of the Parent Seed facility as required by coordinating activities and resources as well direct involvement in the treating and blending of parental seed.
- Participate in contra season activities from planning to implementation.
- Identify and provide recommendations to challenges facing production with the goal of continually improving in all areas – agronomy, location planning, field selection, grower relations, logistics, quality management etc.
- Ensure all activities are carried out in support of health and safety guidelines, QMS, SOP’s, production protocols and other internal and external regulations and practices as well as participation in the development and improvements of all the above processes as required.
- With this grade the individual must be able to manage and lead multiple projects. The individual will be responsible for mentoring and supervising other Agronomists within his/her team.
- Continuous interaction with members of his team and other groups is required.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- A Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Agriculture preferably specializing in Crop Science or related discipline.
- Experience of 1 to 5 years in crop production, hybrid canola seed production, canola agronomy seed certification and farm equipment knowledge.
- Ability to establish relationships with both internal and external partners such as: growers, beekeepers and industry partners is essential.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to be flexible and modify plans as required in order to minimize impact on data and production as situations arise.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team either as a member or supervising contract employees is required in fulfilling job responsibilities.
- Ability to become member of the AIA.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs, and unique opportunities we offer to support you – the whole you – in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career. We also provide engaging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your role.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
BASF is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where our employees can be their authentic selves. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, place of origin, ethnic origin, colour, religion/creed, sex/pregnancy, marital status, family status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We seek to make our recruitment process accessible for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations or support throughout the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Recruitment Accommodation Request”.
BASF takes security & data privacy very seriously. We will never request personal or financial information of any kind via either text message or direct message on any social media platform or job board. Furthermore, we will never offer a candidate a position and request a cheque for equipment or any other type of payment during the job application process. If you have experienced any of the above, please contact email@example.com to report fraud.