Full Job Description
We are looking to hire an experienced cook on, and will provide full time, on the job training.
Food is more than nourishment to our Residents; it is often the highlight of their day. The Cook is instrumental in ensuring that Residents have satisfying and enjoyable food experiences and is responsible for the oversight of the Food Services when the Chef in not available, through the provision of leadership and guidance to Food Service staff (Assistant Cooks, Food Service Assistants).
The Cook is accountable for Resident Care Strategy, Menu Planning and Monitoring, Meal Preparation, Meal Service, Cleanliness of Food Service Areas, Human Resource Management, Quality Assurance, Inventory Management, Information Management, Safe Work Procedures, and Reporting.
Resident Care Strategy
Choices in Community Living believes that Resident care is centered around our Residents’ individual experience. With the mission of providing excellent care in comfortable, joyful environments, our Resident Care Strategy directs staff by focusing on six important tenets: Welcome (and other defining moments), Personalization, Living our Values, Accountability, Sharing/Communicating/Updating, and focus on the TEAM. It is the responsibility of all Food Service staff to ensure that the Resident Care Strategy is evident in our processes and staff knowledge, and is as successful as measured by our Residents’ happiness.
Menu Planning and Monitoring
The Cook is required to work at continually impressing Residents, family and staff with nutritious, tasty meals.
- Assist in preparing 5-week menu rotations according to policies, best practices, and input from Residents
- Ensure meals, snacks, and beverages offer seasonal variation and choices from food groups
- Ensure meals including substitutions are recorded daily as per policy
- Ensure daily menus are posted in all dining rooms.
The Cook will ensure high quality foods are used to prepare exciting menu items.
- Ensure meals are aesthetically pleasing and tasty
- Prepare meals in accordance with approved menu
- Ensure recipes are followed
- Ensure adherence to Safe Food Handling and regulated temperature guidelines
- Ensure meals are ready on time
- Ensure meals meet daily quantity requirements
- Ensure food supplies are returned to appropriate storage area
- Abide by the waste management plan – e.g. recycling, composting.
The Cook will ensure that meals are served impressively, timely and professionally.
- Ensure Food Service Assistants wear clean aprons and uniforms when serving food
- Ensure meals are served as per meal service schedule
- Ensure Residents are greeted and served politely
- Ensure serveries are well stocked.
Cleanliness of Food Service Areas
The Cook is expected to maintain a high level of cleanliness in the kitchen, dining rooms, and serveries. The Cook will also ensure that staff understand the importance of cleanliness in order to minimize infection outbreaks.
- Ensure kitchen, dining rooms and serveries are clean and organized at any time of the day – floors must be clear of debris and clean, all areas should be dust-free
- Ensure all areas meet Public Health Standards for practice and cleanliness
- Ensure adherence to daily, weekly, monthly and yearly sanitation program checklists by Food Service staff
- Ensure kitchen equipment is clean and organized throughout the shift
- Ensure daily dishwasher temperatures and chemical usage log is completed
- Ensure cooler and freezer are kept clean and organized.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $24.97-$26.31 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability