YMCA Downtown Branch & Y on 2nd
CEO & General Manager of Operations
$43,680 per year / $21 per hour
Fulltime-40 hour per week
YMCA of Medicine Hat strives to integrate our commitment to diversity and social inclusion in all that we do. We believe that strong leadership is created through the sharing of diverse experiences and perspectives. We actively seek candidates who embody these principles and who reflect the many dimensions of the communities we serve. We are a charitable organization that provides health and fitness opportunities, employment services, licensed childcare, and various community programs in Medicine Hat, Redcliff, and Brooks. When you work at the YMCA, you’ll play an important part in building strong, thriving communities while positively impacting people’s lives. Join our team at the Y, a place where everyone belongs — including you!
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day, demonstrating our values in action.
We do the right thing.
We are caring, respectful, honest, and responsible in all that we do.
We put people first.
We believe in each other – honouring our strengths, diversity, perspectives, and passions.
We keep our promises.
We do what we say we will do.
We lead by example.
We are courageous, speaking with conviction and always willing to listen and collaborate.
What qualifications are we looking for?
At the YMCA of Medicine Hat, we strive to ensure our employees are a good fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate is required to have the following education/certifications/credentials:
- Administrative Officer Professional Diploma (or equivalent) with a minimum of 2 years of experience as an administrative professional
- Evidence of a clear Police Information Check, within the last six months
- Must have a valid driver’s license with class 07 automobile insurance coverage business use (or pleasure with occasional business use) and a minimum of $2,000,000 in liability coverage
Skills & Knowledge
- Fluent in MS Office suite (testing to be conducted during interview)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Strong leadership and project management skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must be a great collaborator who works well in a team environment, but can also be self-directed and personally accountable to meet deadlines and achieve results
- Understanding of privacy legislation and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Detail-oriented, consistent, and reliable
What does this role look like at the YMCA of Medicine Hat?
Reporting to the CEO and General Manager of Operations, the responsibilities and duties of this role include but are not limited to:
- Reception duties, including answering the phone, responding to the doorbell, and/or staffing a reception or membership desk
- When responding to the office doorbell, greet visitors professionally and courteously
- Respond to phone calls/emails within 24 business hours
- Interaction with volunteers, members, employees, and the public at large
- Exemplify the values of honesty, respect, responsibility, caring, and inclusiveness in all interactions with the public, coworkers, and volunteers
- Work effectively within the Association Services, Community, and HFA teams, contributing to their overall success by:
- Promoting the YMCA’s annual Strong Kids Campaign
- Promoting YMCA events
- Contributing to a positive and healthy workplace culture
- Ability to initiate and model positive change
- Other duties, as assigned
- Communicate effectively with YMCA employees/volunteers, members, and program participants using various platforms including in-person, telephone, email, text, etc.
- Actively engage with YMCA employees/volunteers, members, and program participants
- Respond to conflicts according to YMCA policies and procedures to ensure that issues are addressed directly, promptly, and in accordance with YMCA values
- Draft professional communications such as letters, briefing notes, emails, etc.
- Prepare professional slide decks for presentations, as needed
Quality of Work
Executive administrative support to the CEO (8 hours/week) and the General Manager of Operations (32 hours/week):
- Answer phone calls and respond to voicemail and email messages, when appropriate
- Calendar/appointment management
- Meeting agenda preparation
- Meeting minutes and distribution
- Email and voicemail account management
- Mail management, including couriers
- Book travel and accommodations
- Data entry, database management
- Format/re-format documents
- Preparation of meeting materials and packages using various platforms including MS Word, Adobe, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Create reports or presentations using information provided by the CEO or General Manager using program such as Adobe, MS Word, Canva, etc.
- Complete credit card reconciliations
- Compile and proof-reading documents
- Book and set up rooms and AV equipment for meetings
- Order refreshments/food for meetings
- Digital and paper filing
- Photocopying and compiling documents into training packages
- Ongoing maintenance of filing systems
- Light office cleaning
- Other administrative duties, as required
General Administrative support:
- Act as administrator for various online YMCA accounts including SharePoint, Amazon, Indeed, etc.
- Act as main point of contact for telecom and security contracts/services
- Order merchandise from approved vendors, as required
Project Leadership and Support:
- Act as the Child Protection Standards Program Lead, ensuring the organization consistently meets all standards and successfully passes annual review(s)
- Attend Child Protection Standards Program meeting and training events online and in person. This may require occasional travel to other provinces.
- Assist the CEO and GM of Operations with other projects, as needed.
Compliance with Legislation and YMCA Policies and Procedures
- Follow all applicable legislation, policies, and procedures in carrying out responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring the YMCA passes its annual Child Protection Standard Program review
- Ensure work area meets SAM standards at all time
- Assist the Association Services team in ensuring the entire office area meets SAM standards at all times
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- 2 office locations with shared office space (one located on the main floor, one located up a flight of stairs)
- Stairs to the basement, as needed to access storage, additional washrooms, staff room , etc
- Sitting at a desk and using a computer for most of the day
- From time to time, may need to lift boxes of files weighing up to 20 lbs
- May be exposed to all weather conditions when walking outside to/from post office/vehicle.
- May be exposed to all weather conditions when using a vehicle for occasional business purposes (e.g., dropping a parcel off at the post office).
With a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (email addresses and phone numbers) who can attest to your character and previous work and/or volunteer performance.
Please send application packages to:
Betty Duhaime – General manager of Operations
YMCA of Medicine Hat
150 Ash Avenue SE
Medicine Hat, AB T1A 3A9
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Medicine Hat, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location