Vancouver, British Columbia, CA
Reporting to the Head of Government and Regulatory Affairs, the Manager, Government and Regulatory Affairs is responsible for leading and providing strategic government relations support and advocacy for Teck’s global business, in light of evolving policies and regulations.
This position will play a critical role in ensuring the stewardship of positive relationships with governments (including, where required, Indigenous Governments) to foster mutually beneficial outcomes. The role is focused on finding solutions in partnership with government related to environmental and mining regulation and policy, including in climate change and closure/legacy.
This role interacts extensively with internal management and teams across Teck’s operations in a consultative, advisory, and directive capacity.
Teck requires a candidate who will bring a progressive, collaborative, and partnership-based approach in solving issues to further Teck’s sustainable development goals and objectives. The successful candidate will be proficient in navigating the intricacies and sensitivities involved in international politics and community engagement, possess outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, be self-motivated, highly collaborative and have strong organizational, presentation and analytical skills.
This position is based in Vancouver with travel to operations, events and government meetings, as appropriate and required.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide advice and clear direction to senior managers, corporate teams, and committees in response to regulatory issues and compliance, major permitting initiatives, public consultation, conflict resolution, and negotiating strategies
- Develop, lead, and maintain key personnel’s relationships with provincial, state, federal, and international government agencies at all levels
- Lead teams across the organization in the development and implementation of engagement strategies, action plans, and programs with broad external and company-wide impacts for effective interaction with governments and communities of interest
- Further advance Teck’s framework, and policies of engagement and decision-making with Indigenous Peoples, in line with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)
- Represent our position in various member associations, task forces, and working groups
- Ensure key messages are delivered consistently and effectively to governments and other relationships through presentations, briefing documents, and other communications materials
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Political Science, Public Administration, Communications or Environmental Sciences. Master’s degree in these areas or Law degree strongly preferred
- Minimum eight years’ demonstrated experience in roles of progressively increasing responsibility, with a portion in the mining or resource industry, in a provincial, national, or international role
- Minimum of five years’ experience supervising or leading a team.
- Excellent understanding of national and regional legislative and permitting processes, government procedures and issues management, and a broad knowledge of mining policy issues and trends preferred
- Outstanding knowledge of rules and regulations governing government affairs activities in various jurisdictions, particularly for British Columbia, Alberta, Canada, the United States, and less formally, Chile
- Proven ability to implement government affairs strategies, through influencing policy and regulatory changes in a dynamic, fast paced, high-profile environment
- Ability to rapidly review, assess, and provide recommendations on government-related technical, legal, and regulatory information as it relates to existing operations, new projects, and potential acquisitions, typically in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with experience leading progressive, collaborative approaches in solving an organization's development goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience communicating key messages in a variety of ways including presentations and briefing documents
- Fluency in Spanish, French, or Mandarin would be an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc. Teck has been named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employersfor six consecutive years. Teck has also been named to the Forbes Canada’s Best Employers 2022and is one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People. The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck has been recognized as one of the 2022 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporationsby Corporate Knights and is ranked #1 in the Metals and Mining industry on the S&P Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI). Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.
Job Segment: Regulatory Affairs, Compliance, Governmental Affairs, Coal Mining, Legal, Government, Mining
Job Type: Full-time
- Day shift
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-05-31