Precon is looking for a highly motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment to join our team as Maintenance Technician.
Location: Coalhurst, AB
Start Date: Immediate
Hours: Facility operational hours are typically 5:00am-5:30pm. Due to the nature of this position the candidate must be willing to share over time, on-call, and weekend coverage with ourmaintenance team.
Compensation: Commensurate with previous experience.
Reports to: Maintenance Team Lead and Plant Manager.
Precon's Maintenance Technicians are responsible for the proactive maintenance and repair of our plant, the concrete production machinery, and mobile equipment at Precon. The successful individual must be able to take initiative, problem-solve, and be comfortable working independently without supervision. Together with the maintenance team, this role is proactive about keeping our plant, machinery, and equipment operating at peak condition which contributes to the success and quality of our product.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Work safely; understand and comply with all Precon’s health and safety program, OH&S, and any other applicable legislation.
- Inspect, troubleshoot, and repair electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, HVAC, and hydraulic systems on all manufacturing equipment. Investigate irregularities and malfunctions. Repair or replace defective parts.
- Perform routine plant preventative maintenance.
- Ongoing equipment improvement and analysis.
- Read blueprints, schematic drawings, and technical/wiring diagrams.
- Assemble, install, dismantle, and move machinery and plant equipment according to plans and as per the requirements of the CEC and Manufacturer. Lifting devices such as aerial lifts, cranes, jacks, and mobile equipment are often used.
- Assemble and commission new machinery and equipment.
- Perform general building maintenance tasks, which may include painting, door repair, minor plumbing, etc.
- Organize and document all maintenance processes.
- Participate in meetings, i.e., morning team Toolbox meeting/stretch, weekly Health & Safety meetings, and others.
- Participate in the completion of other related tasks and duties as directed or needed.
- Mechanical aptitude with 5 years of experience in troubleshooting, repairing, and operating equipment and large machinery, preferably in an industrial/manufacturing setting.
- Dedication to safety; is committed to a healthy and safe work environment. Is willing to do their part and participate in regular meetings, hazard assessments, and other H&S items.
- Keen problem-solving ability.
- Open-minded and willing to learn.
- Positive attitude, team spirit, and ability to communicate with others effectively and professionally both verbally and written.
- Takes initiative.
- Can work well independently.
- Valid class 5 drivers’ license, clean driving record, and readily available transportation.
- Able to read blueprints, schematic drawings, and technical/wiring diagrams.
- Able to work overtime, weekends, or on-call as needed.
- Proficient with computers, basic technology (mobile phones, apps, etc.), and computer software/programs such as Microsoft Office.
- Possesses a valid WHMIS 2015 certificate.
- Please refer to work conditions and context for further information.
Bonus Points for:
- Journeyperson or apprentice Welder (or Red Seal certification).
- Journeyperson or apprentice Millwright or Industrial Mechanic (or Red Seal certification).
- May also consider Journeyperson Industrial Electrician (or Red Seal certification).
- Prior experience in carpentry, heavy-duty mechanic/heavy equipment, industrial welding, or other mechanical applications would be considered an asset.
- Active tickets and experience in any of the following: Aerial Lift/Platform, Fall Protection, Confined or Restricted Space, Skid Steer Operator, Forklift Operator or other mobile equipment experience, Overhead Crane Operator.
Work Conditions and Context
- Travel: Valid class 5 drivers’ license, clean driving record, and readily available transportation to and from work are required. Precon is located outside of Lethbridge, so travel is required. Use of shop truck is also required to pick up or drop off local parts, supplies, or small equipment for repair. Occasional out-of-area and overnight travel may also be expected for training purposes.
- Conditions: We are a manufacturing/production facility; work will take place in a manufacturing environment with overhead and other hazards. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required (i.e., hard hat, high-visibility clothing, steel-toed boots, fall arrest harness, hearing protection, respirator, etc.). Work will involve conditions of heat, cold, dust, noise, and wind, and will be performed indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions and temperatures. Will also involve climbing ladders, working at heights (on ladders/aerial lifts), lifting 50 pounds, and working in awkward positions on machinery/equipment.
- Equipment and Machinery: This position will be required to operate various hand/power tools (table saw, drills, grinders) and hoisting and lifting equipment (aerial platform lift). If certified and competent, this individual may occasionally operate other equipment such as forklift, skid steer, overhead crane, etc.
- Technology: Use of technology, phones, computers, programs, etc. is required.
- Telecommuting/Working from home: Not available.
- Relocation assistance: Not available.
What We Offer
Precon provides a working environment where safety, respect, and quality are our highest priorities. We are constantly working to create a culture that supports our employees’ ability to succeed.
- Impressive safety culture and training.
- Strong COVID/infectious disease protocols to keep you safe.
- Spacious employee lunchroom.
- Competitive compensation.
- After a qualifying period: Blue Cross benefits package for you and your family. RRSP program to help you start saving for retirement.
- After probation: Yearly boot allowance for your steel-toed boots, clothing catalog discounts.
- Opportunities for advancement.
- Supportive employees, managers, and family culture.
- Free hot lunch before long weekends.
- Once COVID restrictions have been eased – employee gatherings such as Steps for Life Walk, Golf Tournaments, Family Bowling, summer BBQs, etc.
- We are currently undergoing a large production facility expansion in Coalhurst – a strong indicator of Precon’s future!
To apply, please submit a PDF of your resume. By applying for this position, you consent to the collection, use, and necessary disclosure of the personal information provided during the application and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Close date: As soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company events
- Dental care
- RRSP match
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Vaccination requirement, sanitization protocols. Mask requirement removed for time being.
- Are you located within 25km of Lethbridge, AB?
- Proof of COVID vaccination is required in order to be eligible for employment at Precon. If you meet this requirement, please proceed with your application.
- electrical: 1 year (preferred)
- welding: 1 year (preferred)
- Journeyman AND/OR Millwright ticket(s) (preferred)
Work Location: One location