Full Job Description
Meat Processing Assistant
Deerview Meats is a provincially inspected abattoir located Southeast of Medicine Hat near
Irvine, Alberta. Deerview Meats specializes in the processing of beef, bison, deer, pork and lamb as well as wild game processing.
Deerview Meats is seeking individuals who not only have a strong desire to work in the meat industry, but who are self-motivated, punctual and enjoy the challenge of learning new things.
Deerview staff members take great pride in their work and strive to maintain the high quality and food safety standards that have made Deerview Meats a AAA meat processing facility. If you enjoy working in a fast paced environment alongside a team, this could be the career for you!
Deerview Meats has a dynamic work environment and successful employees thrive on adaptability, speed, and the ability to collaborate with other team members. We often work against tight deadlines, but we love a challenge… and we love the fast pace. We are excited to test new ideas and are constantly seeking out new ways to improve our processes, our products and ourselves.
What you’ll be doing
Duties will consist of working in an abattoir and production of retail meat products. Previous education and/or experience is an asset but not a requirement as all new staff members are fully trained in all areas of responsibility. Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with Sausage Kitchen and Cutting Room production
- Wrapping and packaging of various meat products
- Kill Floor operation on as needed basis
- Customer Service on as needed basis
- Following health and food safety protocols; facility cleaning and sanitation
- Maintaining a positive, empathetic and professional attitude towards customers and fellow team members at all times
- High school diploma
- Must be physically fit and capable of lifting 45 lb boxes
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Available to work full time Tuesday through Saturday
- Capacity to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively
- Ability to work in a climate controlled environment (much of our building is refrigerated)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Passion and responsibility to the customer
- Dedication to the team and working towards a common goal
- Strong personal leadership skills and taking initiative to inspire continuous improvement
- Personal and professional integrity
- Natural troubleshooting skills and ability to coordinate daily activities
- Attention to detail
What’s in it for you?
- Medical and dental benefits
- Year round full time employment
- Dynamic work environment
- Opportunity to work in a family run business with a dedicated team
- Tons of daily physical activity
- Staff store discounts
- All Sundays and holidays off
- Closed between Christmas and New Years
- Wage is negotiable upon experience
Sound like a good fit?
We’d love to talk to you! Here’s how to apply:
1. Provide us with a copy your most recent resume
2. Include a cover letter that states why you want to work at Deerview Meats
You can submit the above via:
- email or
- fax at 403-527-2225 or
- in person at Deerview Meats, 12027 Range Road 35 Cypress County
(19 km east of Medicine Hat on the #1 highway)
Only applicants seeking full-time, long-term employment need apply. Priority will be given to individuals with education and/or experience in the meat/food industry. For more information on Deerview Meats feel free to visit our website at www.deerviewmeats.com.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift