Reporting to the Production Coordinator of the Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Innovation, the contract media designer creates print and digital assets for CTLI projects and initiatives. The contract media designer is a member of the LC Studio Team within the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Innovation (CTLI). The LC Studio Team supports CTLI, other departments in Lethbridge College, and external clients in developing and supporting the design of learning experiences, media, student supports, and content. The contract media designer will be a part of the LC Studio Team Pool, and contracted, by the Production Coordinator, as needed, for specific projects.
Media specialists must thrive on working effectively and efficiently in a team-based, collaborative, fast-paced environment. This position requires a unique skill set. First, strong interpersonal skills, especially communication, as assigned work will require consultation with a wide range of clients in the form of conceptualizing, designing, and developing media in a deadline-driven environment. Second, creative problem solving, and analytical skills are required in order to develop effective and engaging media and learning objects that will meet the needs of a diverse student audience. Third, comprehensive technical and design skills are essential to ensure that media is of high quality and accessible across a wide range of devices and platforms.
We realize we are asking for the unicorn of designers! This is mainly due to the variety of projects we have. Each designer has their speciality and we try to cater project assignments to those.
Remote applicants welcome!
Located on the traditional lands of the Blackfoot Confederacy, Lethbridge College is committed to honouring the land from a place of knowing. We honour the Siksikaitsitapi as both the traditional and current Land Keepers of this area, and we welcome all Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples who call Blackfoot territory their home to disclose as such when submitting applications.
Lethbridge College is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse environment for all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, and age.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
At Lethbridge College, we know we all benefit when the rich diversity of our campus community is fully represented, and all students and employees are included. We are committed to identifying and overcoming systemic barriers that impede individuals from underrepresented groups. We are ready to work together to ensure Lethbridge College is a place where all individuals feel valued for their unique perspectives, skills, and contributions and are afforded equal opportunities to participate in learning, research, and innovation.
- Utilize a human-centred design approach to gain understanding of the client and project goals, with an emphasis on holistic design that encompasses the user experience
- Create graphic elements and interactive media, animations, and video to fulfill learner needs
- Determine which type of visual elements or interactive experience will be best suited to produce desired learning outcomes and the most appropriate vehicle for communication as identified by the Instructional Designer and Subject Matter Expert
- Prepare prototypes, sketches, layouts, wireframes, and storyboards of media objects using traditional tools, multimedia software and image processing, layout and design software
- Create original artwork that captures the essence of what the project team envisions
- Support diverse learner needs through the creation of engaging visuals and interactives
- Utilize thorough knowledge and skill in the Adobe Creative Suite
- Leverage Web design, User Experience design, User Interface design and programming skills
- Work with clients to assess needs, brainstorm solutions, simplify and communicate complex ideas
- Share ideas and employ technical abilities to improve the quality of learning objects
- Integrate new software solutions and processes that support student learning
- Provide consultation, creativity and expertise for proposed media objects and learning experiences
- Rapidly prototype new and emerging media solutions
- Utilize media objects to provide rich, online experiences and simulations for online learning
- Design for accessibility and engagement of learners
- Bring extensive knowledge/experience with cross application workflows
- Communicate effectively across multi-disciplinary teams and departments
- Diploma in Multimedia or related field and one year of experience; combination of education and experience may be considered
- Minimum of 6 months prior job experience
- Proven communication skills while working with clients
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative team environment
- Degree in media related field
- Experience in a post-secondary environment
- Working knowledge of Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Animation experience