In Medicine Hat you'll appreciate the beauty and accessibility of the badlands and the countless parks and greenspaces just a short drive or bike ride away. And here at the City of Medicine Hat, you'll be part of a workplace that's productive and engaged, and one that boasts a talented and diverse workforce.
The City's Power Plant is seeking dependable and reliable operators to join their team for the summer of 2023. This is a unionized shift position, responsible for the operation of equipment in a combined cycle power plant. In addition, this position will assume the duties and responsibilities of any operational position at the Shift Engineer's discretion. You will be working a 12 hour rotating shift schedule including weekends, and overtime when required.
Our ideal candidate
- Ensures duties in the generation of electricity in a safe, knowledgeable, and efficient manner, while meeting all safety, environmental, and AESO regulations.
- Assist with monitoring plant equipment to prevent operational problems.
- Proactively plans and organizes work for self, to ensure that high job performance standards are attained.
- Communicates operational and mechanical status of plant to Shift Engineer.
- A general knowledge of Alberta Boilers and Pressure Vessels Act.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Perform other duties as required for plant operations and maintenance needs.
- Third or Fourth Class Power Engineer's Certificate of Competency.
- Minimum of one year related experience or a first year power engineering student.
- Must possess a Grade 12 or high school equivalency diploma.
- A valid Class 5 driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- This position has been identified as Safety Sensitive and requires the completion of a satisfactory pre-employment drug screen.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Medicine Hat's Power Plant boasts some of the most advanced power generation technologies available, comprised of natural gas Aero-derivative Gas turbines with Heat Recovery Steam Generators and condensing Steam turbines. THAT'S INNOVATION, MEDICINE HAT STYLE!