Full Job Description
OPOKAA’SIN EARLY INTERVENTION SOCIETY
Special Needs Education Assistant
Under the supervision of the Lead Teacher, you will be responsible to work in a team environment in providing supports to the children and families involved with the Early Learning program.
The ECS Education Assistant works collaboratively with classroom teaches. Parents and community for the best interest of the students. You will be responsible for carrying out the goals and objectives of the Early Learning program, as well as the following;
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide support for all students to be included in the classroom and school.
- Implement lesson and Behavioural plans for students as directed by the teacher i.e. Individual Education Plans (IPP) goals and objectives
- Participate in collaborative meetings that will assist in students’ progress
- Motive and encourage students to participate in learning activities.
- Use effective instructional strategies to help students with lessons and assignments.
- Demonstrate activities, set up and dismantle displays, play spaces and work spaces.
- Observe and report student behavior and progress
- Assist students who have physical and personal care needs
- Facilitate and encourage positive student behaviours.
- Collect and prepare learning materials to support student learning
- Assist with schoolwide special events and activities
- Supervise children during lunch and recess breaks or field trips
- Support students to develop healthy relationships at school within the classroom and throughout the school
- Participate in opportunities for professional development growth i.e. Monthly staff meetings, team meetings, and parent meetings
- Support teachers in preparation of the classroom materials and resources
REPORTING LINE: Accountable to the Lead Teacher, Program Director
- High school diploma and related post-secondary education
- Ability and experience working with Aboriginal children
- Awareness and understanding of Aboriginal culture and issues.
- CPR & First Aid certification
- Must submit Child Welfare and Criminal Records check (CYIM & CRIM)
All potential applicants are required to submit a Criminal Records Check, Child and Youth Information
Module, and provide two (2) references, cover letter and resume as a part of their application package.
Screening Criteria: Please be advised that in order to be considered for the position applicants must clearly indicate how they meet the criteria. Failure could result in elimination from the hiring pool.
Submit complete package to:
Opokaa’sin Early Intervention Society
241 Stafford Drive North, Lethbridge, AB T1H 2A5
ATT: Human Resources
Phone: (403) 380-2569 | Fax: (403) 327-6775
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $19.00 per hour
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site childcare
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
All children complete regular screening. All staff fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- DCS / DEC (preferred)
- Child Development Certificate (required)
- Criminal Records Check (within 6 months) (required)
- Child Intervention Check (within 6 months) (required)
Application deadline: 2022-10-07
Expected start date: 2022-10-17