Full Job Description
Northside Veterinary Clinic in Lethbridge, Alberta is seeking a Veterinary Assistant to join our innovative and dynamic team in a full-time capacity.
If you love cats and dogs, and enjoy helping people – search no further!
Our ideal candidate is a team player with excellent communication skills, who is detail oriented and thrives in a fast-paced environment while connecting with our team and clients through their love of pets.
The Veterinary Assistant is responsible for ensuring the quality of care and service provided to the pets and the people we care for is impeccable. Through helping to foster a patient focused service model, participating in a supportive work environment, and by communicating openly with the medical team, the Veterinary Assistant supports the growth and vision of the practice.
We are looking for someone who loves pets and enjoys being part of a team. The perfect fit would be a friendly and compassionate individual with a high degree of emotional intelligence. We work collaboratively, so it’s important that we identify someone with a cheerful and amiable disposition that shares our enthusiasm for convivial teamwork. If you're searching for an inclusive environment and want to make an impact in a pet-loving community, search no further.
You will be scheduled Monday – Friday from 8:15 am – 5:15 pm
· Provides exceptional client service and builds relationships with clients through service, respect, and professionalism.
· Contributes to smooth communication throughout a client’s visit and seeks answers to any client questions or concerns.
· Supports healthcare recommendations and helps educate clients on care or products that would enrich the life of their pet.
· Routinely contributes to the cleanliness and organization of the practice, to ensure all guests leave with a lasting positive impression of the hospital.
· Focusses on the well-being and comfort of the patient while following best medicine and patient experience principles.
· Greets, handles, and treats pets with kindness, compassion, patience and skill using Fear Free techniques. Nurtures an environment that makes them feel safe and secure.
· Advocates for the patient. Helps provide an organized and calm procedural and patient flow throughout medical and treatment areas.
· Assists in keeping medical and diagnostic equipment maintained and in proper and safe working condition. Identifies and reports equipment and facility needs to PM.
Culture Champion & Communication
· Contributes to a positive, healthy culture.
· Uses a collaborative approach, assumes positive intent, and fosters open, proactive, and cooperative relationships.
· Follows progressive patient care standards while supporting a positive work environment.
Technical Applications & Role Awareness
· Efficiently, accurately, and safely performs animal handling and husbandry duties. Ensures hospitalized, boarding, and grooming patients are comfortable, clean, exercised, and fed according to instructions.
· Frequently monitors all in-hospital patients and correctly records information relating to feeding schedules, appearance, or behavior. Immediately reports any changes to the correct person.
· Reconciles and unpacks orders. Puts items away in correct locations and calls clients regarding their food orders.
· Is careful with in-clinic food and supplies to avoid wastage. Notifies medical team when patient feeding or treatment plan isn’t being successful (eg. if patient won’t eat don’t keep opening cans of food).
· Welcomes and supports clients and pets, adapting responses to reflect the situation.
· Efficiently and accurately performs clerical and reception duties, client and in-patient intake and discharge duties, schedules appointments, answers questions, and maintains front office and exam room flow.
· Correctly enters client and patient information into PMS and confirms it’s up-to-date at every visit.
· Is able to diffuse client conflict in a professional, hospitable and tactful manner. Escalates/refers when appropriate to Team Leader or Practice Manager.
§ Experience in the Veterinary industry preferred
§ Strong communication and interpersonal skills required
§ Multi-tasking and organizational skills
§ Ability to plan and prioritize
§ Highly developed communication skills
§ Problem solving skills with the ability to adapt, be creative, and offer quick and effective solutions
§ Proven ability to build and nurture relationships at all levels
§ An approach that is progressive, strategic, humble, and achievement oriented
§ A love for animals!
We value our team members, and prove it by supporting your personal, financial, and professional growth through:
§ A Competitive Wage rate
§ A comprehensive Health Benefits package (100% of Medical, Dental, & Vision premiums paid), effective following successful completion of 3-month probationary period
§ Professional Services coverage (chiropractor, massage therapist, physiotherapist, and more)
§ Employee Assistance Program
§ Paid Vacation time
§ Paid Sick & Personal Days
§ Generous Veterinary Discounts (75% off services for your own pets, and an extended family and friends discount)
§ Uniform Allowance
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a respectful, inclusive, and diverse workplace.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Part-time hours: 32 per week
Salary: $15.00-$20.00 per hour
- Overtime pay
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
- Vision care
Flexible language requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Lethbridge, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Veterinary Assistant: 1 year (preferred)
- Front desk: 1 year (preferred)
- Customer service: 1 year (preferred)