The Yard Person maintains the lumberyard. They load, unload, and store materials using a variety of equipment including forklifts, pallet jacks, and lumber carts. They also greet and serve yard customers and should be familiar with inventory, prices, returns, and exchange policies. They may also estimate prices on outside jobs, such as kitchen re-modelling, carpet laying, flooring, window installation, etc. The Yard Person must perform all tasks with sufficient speed and accuracy to support store efficiency and a high level of customer service.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Load and unload materials.
- Assist customers with advice, information, and/or help in gathering and loading orders.
- Keep the yard clean and the inventory neat and orderly.
- Be familiar with the locations of all inventory and equipment.
- Be familiar with the safe operation and maintenance of equipment, including a forklift, lumber cart, pallet jack, banding machine, etc.
- Assist customers in handling large or heavy items.
- Resolve customer complaints.
- Process special orders for non-stock items.
- Give customers timely notice of incoming special orders.
- Restock lumber bins, sheds, etc. when they are depleted.
- Receive incoming merchandise.
- Check incoming merchandise against orders or invoices to identify damaged goods, shortages, and backorders.
- Report any shortages, damaged goods, or backorders to your supervisor.
- Take telephone orders for merchandise.
- Help in training new employees.
- Work in a safe manner in accordance with provincial and federal safety legislation. Report any potential hazards and unsafe behavior to management in order to have the situation corrected.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, management, and employees.
- Ability to read and comprehend written and printed materials, as well as information presented in numerical form.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team environment.
- Must be able to safely operate yard equipment and tools, including a forklift, pallet jack, lumber cart, banding machine, radial arm saw, etc.
- Hold a valid class 5 driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be able to move materials weighing up to 100 pounds around the yard, placing them on or removing them from trucks, pallets, etc.
Reports directly to the Assistant Manager or Store Manager.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $16.00-$18.00 per hour
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Overtime pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Medicine Hat, AB T1A 4X4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
- delivery driving: 1 year (preferred)
- English (preferred)
- Class 5 Licence (preferred)
Work Location: In person