In Medicine Hat you'll find an exceptionally high quality of life... and a comparatively low cost of living. And here at the City of Medicine Hat, you'll be a key influencer in how others see, experience and enjoy our city.
Communications Operators work in a fast-paced team environment, evaluating emergency calls and dispatching appropriate units. They obtain crucial information, provide immediate instructions to the caller and provide ongoing communications to the Responders.
Our ideal candidate
- Answers and evaluates all calls to 9-1-1, and/or other designated lines, and coordinates dispatch response of required local and/or regional Emergency Services according to established protocols and standards.
- Answers and processes non-emergency call for Emergency Services as required.
- Provide support to City Utilities after hours emergency lines, and dispatches appropriate resources according to established protocols and standards.
- Provide booking/coordination support to Medicine Hat Special Transit and MHT Now service.
- Accurately completes various computer data entries and reports pertaining to incidents activity and accesses information from various computer programs/systems as required/requested.
- Provides support and information to on-scene Responders throughout events, as well as liaise with other emergency response agencies, civic agencies and utility companies to ensure events are mitigated.
- Grade 12 or High School Equivalency Diploma.
- Meet City of Medicine Hat Occupational health requirements for both hearing and vision.
- Must pass PERFEX aptitude assessment testing.
- Must pass Medicine Hat Police Service Security Requirements, including undergoing a Polygraph Examination.
- Willing to obtain, or currently certified in Emergency Fire Dispatch(EFD), Emergency Police Dispatch(EPD) and Standard First Aid/Level C CPR.
- Able to pass a typing test (min of 40 WPM), and an office software test to confirm your experience with Microsoft Windows (Word/Excel/Outlook).
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability to speak, read and write clear and concise English.
- Possess strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills at all times, especially under stressful situations.
- This position has been identified as Safety Sensitive and requires the completion of a satisfactory pre-employment drug screen.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
"Medicine Hat Fire and Emergency Services will remain a progressive and innovative service that ensures a safe community through access to, and delivery or comprehensive public safety services"